Monday, March 24, 2014

A Word From My Man


Today is Monday, March 24, 2014.  It marks one week since our arrival in Ethiopia and the third day since Christy and Camden left to go home.  At this point I have at least 10 days more of being here (and that is best case scenario).

It has been an interesting visit so far and I am sure I will get to learn more as the days pass.

Here are some things I have come to realize in my time here…

1.  Speed is not a must.  Nothing happens here quickly.  The American way of doing things (that generally is thought of as the best way by most Americans) is to get “it” done now and then move on to the next two to three projects I have. 

In America, we want everything done now or five minutes ago.  We have cell phones we are either talking on or emailing on or texting on or digging through some app to get the latest information or… you know what I mean.  We have internet that is fast and we complain if it is slow.  Our phones have internet so we can keep busy even while sitting and waiting.  Why?  All in order to be “up to speed” on what is going on in the world.

Here, it is not like that at all.  If people have a cell phone, it is a basic phone with little to no features.  Internet works when it wants to.  And people really don’t care.  There are internet cafes (more like shacks) all around town because people don’t have it at their houses.  The only places to get fast reliable internet is at the Sheraton and Hilton (coincidentally both American style hotels).

In America, we have Fast Food, drive thrus, and microwaves.  We even have drive thru coffee places.

Here - they don’t know what fast food is and when I told one of the guys about getting coffee while still in your car he was shocked.  You see, the way they do their food, their coffee, their everything, it is about connection.  They don’t rush meals - you actually have to ask for the check because they are not trying to get you out the door.  Here at the guest house I am at - they roast their coffee beans every morning and then grind them and then brew them.  Why - so they can talk while doing it and connect with each other.  

In America, church is over in about an hour… give or take a few minutes.  We have our eyes on a clock knowing that three songs, announcements, a message and a song or two more and we will be done.  We stand in our place, stiff, singing quietly if at all and we call it our hour of “worship.”

Here - the music started and the people responded… it was over and hour a music to start and I didn’t see one person looking at their watch… probably because they didn’t have any other place to go or something more important to do than connect with God in a corporate setting.

While I love America and can’t wait to get back… I think we need to take a look at our schedules and ask the questions that the guy I was talking to about drive thru’s asked… “Why is everybody in America so busy?”  “What are they gaining in their busyness?”

2 comments:

  1. Well said! Been there. Felt that. I'd write more...but I need to get back to my computer. Three text messages came in while I was reading your blog post. I have two email accounts to check and I need to do one last check on Facebook before I rush to bed so that I can get a few hours of sleep before tomorrow begins. I can't forget to set my automatic timer on the coffee pot before I go to bed so that it will be finished brewing the moment I wake up. Have to go, things to do, people to see, posts to post, selfies to take... Actually, it seems that you are getting some good time to reflect and ponder a new perspective; one that will make your points even richer as you bring these experiences back to the people whose lives you help to shepherd. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have been trying to say this to people and it never comes out as well as you just put it, especially about the fact dining is about connection, not food.

    I think all of this and more is why, even after two short trips in early 2012, I miss Ethiopia terribly.

    ReplyDelete