Monday, November 11, 2013

His Ways are not Our Ways

 

I love this verse.  I love that God knows exactly what He has in mind for us and we don't need to worry about it.  If I had chosen how my story would be written out, I would have missed out on times to lean on Him.  I would have certainly taken the easier route...avoiding loss of a job, infertility, loss of a baby, my husband having cancer twice, just to name a few.  If I had "my way", I would not trust Him the way I do and live for Him completely surrendered to what He has for me even when I cannot see what He is trying to do at the moment.

I am a recovering people pleaser and perfectionist.  I have been through so many stages of my life dealing with these two issues.  There was the stage where I thought because I was those things I was better than everyone else.  Then, there was a time where I absolutely hated (and I don't say that lightly) those two areas of who I was.  I still struggle with that.  Hating that part of me where my flesh takes over and says or does things that I am not proud of.

Even though I know without a doubt that God put the desire in my heart long ago to adopt a child with Down Syndrome, I still at one time was trying to take control and do it "my way".  About two years ago, I surrendered my way to God and asked Him to do it HIS WAY.  That is what is so absolutely beautiful about this story.  If I had done it my way, I wouldn't be planning a trip to Ethiopia in the near future!  If I had done it my way, I would have closed the door to any child that didn't look like my other children.  If I had done it my way, I might have said, "Not now."

What would I have missed out on had I tried to do it my way?  It makes me sick to think of that possibility.  I have seen God show up in a big way over the last 3 months.  We've been able to show our kids how God has provided for us in such a tangible way.  We've been able to see His love for this little child by the way He is making His way unfold before our eyes.

So, maybe instead of a recovering perfectionist (doing things my way), I would like to call myself a "REFINED and RENEWED" perfectionist and pleaser.  You see, there is only one that I want to please and I know His way is perfect for me.  I want whatever He wants for me.  There is much freedom in being in this place.

Isaiah 55:8-9

New Living Translation (NLT)
8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
    “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
9 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so my ways are higher than your ways
    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment